Thursday 24 August 2017

Knitting: a pretty pink cardigan (King Cole 3541)

We're drifting into late August and heading rapidly towards the autumn so, in the grand tradition of my knitting habits, obviously it's the perfect time to have just finished knitting a very summery cardigan. The temperatures will hopefully still be appropriate for a short-sleeved cotton cardi for a little while though, so I'm going to wear it as much as possible before longer sleeves have to make their seasonal reappearance.


The pattern that I chose to use for this summer's knitting project is King Cole 3541, which features the short-sleeved round neck cardigan that I made and a long-sleeved V neck option. Both of the cardigans have the same cable panel running up the centre fronts and down the middle of the sleeves.


I have to admit that I was slightly daunted at first by the 28-row repeat for the cable panel. I've tackled cables quite happily before, but in simpler patterns and with a smaller number of rows in the repeat so you quickly memorise the pattern. While I don't think I ever completely memorised the cable repeat in this case, I got the basic idea of what I needed to knit in my head fairly quickly. There wasn't anything to be scared of in the cables and I didn't have any problems with knitting the panel as long as I always had the pattern leaflet by my side to consult.


By the time I'd finished knitting the back and fronts and was moving on to the sleeves, I was feeling a bit lazy and wanted to get the cardigan finished quicker so I considered leaving the cable panels out of the sleeve and just knitting them in stocking stitch, but I'm glad that in the end I opted to include the cables. It definitely made knitting the sleeves more interesting, and I think it's a nice detail to have the cables from the fronts mirrored in the sleeves. When I've knitted long-sleeved cardigans I always slightly dread the sleeves because they seem to take forever, but these short sleeves were finished in no time by comparison.


I made the size based on my bust measurement, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The cardigan has 2 inches of positive ease, and I think it's just the right level of being fitted enough to be flattering without it being so tight that the button bands end up gaping when they're done up. The cardigan has also turned out to be the perfect length to wear with all my waisted dresses, which is always good.


The yarn I used is the King Cole Cottonsoft as called for in the pattern, and I used colour 712 Rose. I haven't always enjoyed knitting with 100% cotton yarn in the past (memorably when I knitted some baby hats in 100% cotton yarn a few years ago, my mum told me she thought they'd make better dish cloths!), but I didn't have any problems with this yarn. It was good to knit with, and the finished cardigan is nice and soft to wear, but also feels like it will wear well. Which is good when you've put so much time into making something!


All in all, this cardigan is definitely a winner for me - not least because it goes really nicely with quite a few of my summery dresses (I'm wearing it here with my original New Look 6723 dress that I made a couple of years ago). I enjoyed knitting the cardigan and I'm tempted to have a go at a long-sleeved V neck option at some point. Who knows when that will be though because I've already got a list as long as my arm of knitting patterns to try! Next in the queue is a shawl, and I'm thinking of casting on my first pair of socks too. What are you knitting at the moment?

13 comments:

  1. I think I'd like to try something in cotton as it would be better suited to our mild winter here! This is lovely, particularly good with the dress ;o) I'm finishing off a beanie - first one I've knitted in the round and the magic loop method is confusing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine that you wouldn't get as much wear out of wool as we do here! I was planning on using the magic loop method for my socks - hope that it isn't too confusing for me!

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty color and matches your dress brilliantly! I am finishing a simple cable scarf- so nice to work with an 8 ply after 2 ply socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did have this dress in particular in mind when I picked the yarn because none of my other cardigans go with it!
      I can imagine it must be a relief to be using 8 ply after 2 ply!

      Delete
  3. This looks lovely, a really pretty colour. You're knitting is very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty, little cardigan and a perfect match for that dress. You could definitely get away with wearing it in autumn/winter too layered over long sleeved jersey tops or dresses. I also really like the cables on the sleeve, they make a sweet detail. When I knitted my Andi Sattterlund Agatha cardigan I almost didn't make the lace detail on the sleeves as I almost couldn't be bothered with the extra effort, but I'm so glad I did as they're my favourite feature of the cardigan now! At the moment I'm knitting fingerless gloves with colourwork :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't I think of layering it over long sleeves?! I have a couple of short-sleeved jumpers that I do that with, so it should have been obvious really. Thank you for making me think of that Jo!
      Looking forward to seeing how your gloves turn out!

      Delete
  5. I am keen try an Andi Satterland cardigan and have the Anouk pattern and yarn ready. I have never done a top down knit, so have chosen a simple style to start with. How did you find the Andi Satterland pattern? I am currently knitting a superchunky cardy for my daughter, so that shouldn't take too long to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! I'm guessing the question about Andi Satterlund was for Jo? I've never knit one of her patterns because my wrists don't seem to enjoy knitting sweaters/cardigans on circular needles so I stick to seamed patterns, but I love a lot of her designs so thinking of seeing if my wrists will cooperate at some point!

      Delete
  6. This is lovely, and those cables are just gorgeous. Glad you went with the sleeve cables too because they look great. I am currently knitting some socks, and have just started the second one. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! I think I remember seeing your socks on Instagram - hope the second one is going well!

      Delete
  7. I love that, it is such a pretty little thing and so useful. I am knitting a school cardy for my girl and jeez the arms are taking me forever, only have 3 more days left.... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I hope you manage to get your daughter's cardi finished in time!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!