Wednesday 1 February 2017

Love Sewing Magazine Lottie Coat

I'm going to start this post by being honest and saying that I'm in two minds about this project; part of me likes it, part of me really isn't sure. It's not quite my usual style so that perhaps isn't too surprising, but when I saw the Lottie coat in issue 33 of Love Sewing magazine I thought it looked interesting so I'd give it a try.


The Lottie coat is a collarless unlined shell coat, with side seam pockets and three-quarter sleeves. Coats do have a reputation for being a bit tricky to sew, and properly tailored ones do definitely require some skill, but this coat is very simple and would be fine for relative beginners I think.

I didn't make a toile for this project because I decided that the fit was relaxed enough that I'd be able to make any little adjustments that might be needed along the way. I think that worked out fine - the fit on me is pretty much the same as on the models in the magazine anyway.


I did make a few changes to the coat to suit my personal tastes. As I mentioned, the pattern is unlined but I wanted to have some kind of lining, both for a bit of extra warmth and to make the coat easier to put on and take off. Instead of drafting a separate lining, I opted to underline the main pieces with lining fabric. As this would leave the raw edges visible on the inside, I made them a bit prettier and used a Hong Kong finish with bright pink satin bias binding. I think the little flash of pink that this gives on the inside of the coat is probably one of my favourite things about this project!


I did originally use the in-seam pockets from the pattern, but once I'd put them in they made the coat hang really strangely and gaped open in a not particularly attractive fashion. I unpicked them and closed up the side seams, but I think that a coat really needs pockets - I'm sure I'm not alone there am I? Patch pockets seemed like the easiest option to me, particularly being as I have a coat that I love which has patch pockets that I could use as a guide. I think they turned out quite nicely, even if I do say so myself.


The coat is meant to close with a single button at the neckline, but I decided to use a snap fastener instead. I'm pretty sure that I won't ever wear this coat without a scarf, so a pretty button would always be hidden, and using a snap fastener eliminated the worry about whether my machine would handle sewing a buttonhole on this fabric.

Having worn the coat, I'm going to go back and add a couple of extra snap fasteners down the front to help it stay closed a bit better.


I also lengthened the sleeves slightly. I originally lengthened them quite a bit because I thought that I might wear the coat more with full length sleeves, but with the width of the sleeves that just didn't look right. I tried a couple of different options - basting one sleeve so that it was long still but much narrower, and basting the other at three-quarter length - and the shorter, wider sleeve looked much better. In the end, I think my sleeves are 2 inches longer than in the pattern.


My main fabric is a lovely dogtooth coating from Clothspot, and the underlining is an acetate lining fabric that I picked up when it was super cheap in the sale at The Village Haberdashery. I really like both fabrics and how they work together. You can't really see all the colours in the dogtooth in these photos, but they're really pretty and I love how the pink seam binding I used picks out the pink in the fabric.


Overall I'm happy with how the coat turned out as a project, but I'm not completely sold with how it looks on me. I like it much better once I've got a scarf on with it (hence the scarf in most of these photos!), and I'm using that as an excuse to knit myself a bright pink chunky scarf to wear with it. I definitely don't hate the coat, so I think it might just take a bit of time to get used to wearing this different shape. After all, it's good to try new things every now and then, isn't it?

10 comments:

  1. I would not have guessed that the patch pockets weren't part of the original design--they suit the coat so nicely! Sticking to the three-quarter sleeves was a brave call for a winter coat, and I think it paid off. I wonder if part of the reason the shape feels off is because it hides the lovely nipped in silhouette of your skirts and dresses? Maybe a coat with princess seams would be a good compromise between something very relaxed and something completely tailored? Or if you're liking it more with a scarf, maybe you might fancy a touch of vintage glamor, like a detachable collar of faux fur, or velveteen with pearl beads? In any case, the finished garment is lovely, and seems like it will be a lot of fun to accessorize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did choose the length of the sleeves so they match perfectly with a long pair of gloves that I have so hopefully my arms won't get too chilly!
      Yes, I think the lack of waist shaping is definitely what's making me slightly unsure about the shape - but I like it more than I thought I would initially, and I love the scarf I've made to wear with it so I think that'll help me like it even more!

      Delete
  2. I think your coat looks brilliant, and I'm with you on pockets - you can't have a coat without them! Happy wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne! I still need to read your posts about your coat - it looks gorgeous from the pictures I've seen!

      Delete
  3. I love the fabric you picked, this came out great, the pops of pink inside are excellent ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the fabric and the pops of pink are definitely my favourite bits!

      Delete
  4. Oh Ruth this is fabulous. That pop of pink when your twirl is lovely, the shape of it and those pockets. Well done. I hope you learn to love it the more you wear it. Louise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I think I'm growing to like it more as I get used to it!

      Delete
  5. You wear it well. That length of sleeve would drive me crazy but if it feels right go with it, it looks fab . JO x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! I thought the sleeve length would annoy me too (hence the plan to lengthen the sleeves), but it's actually fine as long as I have a warm jumper or my long gloves on with it

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!