This project involved a few firsts for me - for a start it's the first dress that I've made. It's also the first time I've used a PDF sewing pattern. I was slightly worried that it would be tricky to get all the pieces together so that they matched up properly but it was so easy, and it's a lot quicker to download a PDF than to go out to a shop and buy a pattern or wait for one to be delivered in the post.
Having spent the time getting my pattern all nicely sorted, this was also the first time I've altered a pattern. My bust and waist measurements were just the same as the measurements for the large size on the pattern, but my hips were a good few inches bigger (oh the joys of being pear-shaped!) and I didn't want things getting tight in that area, so I drew my own line out from the waist to add just a little bit extra round my hips, like this...
Possibly not the most professional or exact approach but it worked so I'm happy. Other than that, I didn't make any changes to the pattern and it all came together fairly easily - I can't remember anything causing me any major headaches anyway so it must have been OK. Another good project for beginners if anyone else out there is thinking of having a go at making their own clothes.
The material is a cotton poplin that I got half price in John Lewis the other week - bargain! It's peacock blue, which is one of my favourite colours so when I saw it was in the sale I thought it had to be bought.
Looking at the photos, I think maybe it would be better in a fabric with more drape but I still really like it, and I made it to wear out for dinner for a friend's hen party and got plenty of compliments (even from people who didn't know that I'd made it wasn't just my friends being kind!) so it can't be bad.
I'm busy planning what my next garment might be now, there are so many lovely patterns that I want to try - I feel like I'm spoiled for choice at the moment!